Queen’s University Gaelic Football Club Past Members’ Union
Brief History and Introduction:
Building on the successful hosting of the Sigerson Cup finals weekend in ’89 and the university’s victory in the competition in ’90, the Past Members’ Union was formed in 1990, with Paddy O’Hara as the first chairman. The Union was launched with a dinner at the Great Hall. The aims of the PMU are as follows:
– Foster relations between alumni of Queen’s University who were members of the Gaelic Football Club.
– Host events and reunions.
– Liaise with, and aid the development and the ongoing work of the QUB Gaelic Football Club and GAA Academy.
The regular activities of the PMU include:
– Hosting of the annual Macaulay Cup
– Publication and circulation of a newsletter to 1200 alumni.
– Fundraising for the GAA Academy and the Sean O’Neill Fund
– Presentation of the Cormac McAnallen Medal
– Presentation of the Paddy O’Hara Medal of Honour
In the past few years, we have hosted reunions for the following:
– 1990 and 2000 Sigerson Cup winners Reunion (December 2010)
– First Sigerson Winning team of 1958 (Golden Jubilee dinner in 2008)
– 1990 Sigerson Cup winning team (15 Year Reunion weekend in 2005)
– 1982 Sigerson Cup winning team (Silver Jubilee reunion in 2007)
– 1990 Freshers Team
– 1995 Freshers All-Ireland winning Team
– 1984 USA Tour Reunion (2006)
– 1976 Freshers Reunion (2006)
– 1990-92 Sigerson and Ryan Cup teams (2010)
Special PMU Dinners
– Launch of the Past Members Union in 1990
– Queen’s GAA 75th Anniversary Gala Dinner at the Armagh City Hotel (November 2007) – President of Ireland, Vice Chancellor and GAA President as special guests.
– Presentation of the Paddy O’Hara Medal of Honour to Sean O’Neill on 7 December 2013.
– Regular PMU Dinners during the 1990s
Honorary President Monsignor Ambrose Macaulay
Chairman: John Devaney firstname.lastname@example.org
Vice Chairman: Larry Sheeran
Secretary: Karl Oakes email@example.com
Treasurer: James Higgins
PRO: Diarmuid Cahill firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com
Mr Paddy O’Hara (1990-93)
Mr Adrian Colton BL (1993-96)
Mr Sean O’Neill (1996-99)
Mr Joe Tunney (1999-2002)
Mr John O’Neill (2002-2007)
Mr John Devaney (2007 – )
Honorary Members since 1990:
Monsignor Ambrose Macaulay
The late Cardinal Tomás Ó Fiaich
Dr Robin Harland
Her Excellency, the former President of Ireland Mary McAleese
Senator Dr Martin McAleese