Queen’s will begin their campaign in the 2015 McKenna Cup away to Fermanagh and Donegal before concluding the group stages against Derry on Owenbeg ahead of a Sigerson Cup opener at home to Sligo IT at the end of January.
Queen’s Head Coach James McCartan is looking forward to the competition: “The McKenna Cup offers us the opportunity to look at players who have been doing well for us in a very competitive environment against high quality opposition. With all players available the competition is great preparation for the Sigerson Cup – something that the other three provinces have stolen a march on Ulster on in recent years.
The Ulster colleges have not been as competitive in recent years as we would like and I firmly believe it is in the overall interest of the development of football in the province and of the constituent counties that we can each be successful again”.
Ulster GAA have released the fixtures and venues for the 2015 Bank of Ireland Dr McKenna Cup. The competition will begin on Sunday 4th January with six games across the three groups.
Ulster GAA President Martin McAviney commented: “We are looking forward to an exciting competition in January. The draw has presented us with a series of interesting fixtures and we are in a lucky position in Ulster that we have some of the best sporting spectator venues in the Province. The Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup Competition Ticket is now on sale which represents great value at £20/€25 and provides access to all three first round games, the semi finals and final. The competition has gone from strength to strength and serves both the counties and Universities well in their preparation for the Allianz Leagues and Sigerson Cup.”
“We’re really looking forward to a great season with some hard fought battles played out on the pitch. On behalf of Bank of Ireland I’d like to wish all the teams taking part the best of luck in the coming matches,” said Sean Sheehan, Regional Director, NI Consumer and Small Business, Bank of Ireland UK.
Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup 2015 Sections
Section A: Ulster University, Down, Cavan, Monaghan
Section B: QUB, Fermanagh, Donegal, Derry
Section C: St Mary’s, Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone
Bank of Ireland Dr. McKenna Cup 2015 Fixtures
Sunday 4th January: Round 1
- Monaghan v Ulster University at Clones
- Down v Cavan at Pairc Esler
- Fermanagh v Queen’s University at Brewster Park
- Derry v Donegal at Celtic Park
- Armagh v Tyrone at Athletic Grounds
- Antrim v St Marys at Creggan
Saturday 10th January: Round 2
- Cavan v Ulster University at Kingspan Breffni Park (7.30pm)
Sunday 11th January: Round 2
- Monaghan v Down at Clones
- Donegal v Queen’s University at Pairc MacCumhaill
- Fermanagh v Derry at Brewster Park
- Antrim v Armagh at Creggan
- Tyrone v St Marys at Healy Park
Wednesday 14th January: Round 3
- Down v Ulster University at Pairc Esler
- Cavan v Monaghan at Kingspan Breffni Park
- Derry v Queen’s University at Celtic Park
- Donegal v Fermanagh at Pairc MacCumhaill
- Tyrone v Antrim at Healy Park
- Armagh v St Marys at Athletic Grounds
Sunday 18th January: Semi Finals
- Section A Winners v Section B Winners
- Section C Winners v Best Runner Up
Saturday 24th January: Final
- Semi Final 1 Winners v Semi Final 2 Winners